- It’s a distraction to look longingly at the resources other churches have that you don’t have.
- “You have everything that you need to reach the people God wants you to reach.”
- Limited Resources + Increasing Passion = Exponential Innovation
- If someone demanded $100,000 from you in 2 business days, you’d probably say, “Can ‘t be done.”
If someone demanded $100,000 from you in 2 business days or it would cost you the life of your child, you would make it happen.
- Though your resources are limited, your increased passion would make you exponentially innovative.
- We need to get more passionate about getting the church into the world, not getting more people in church.
Four Characteristics of Innovative Leaders
They heal the sick.
To reach those who no one else is reaching, we have to do things which no one else is doing.
- Example: the 4 guys who lowered the paralytic through the roof so that Jesus would heal him. They were innovative in their approach due to their passion and limited resources!
- Our tendency sometimes is to avoid those being so outrageous!
- Dave Ferguson: If we’re going to reach the world, we have to sit in the smoking section.
- When is the last time you’ve had a non-believer in your home?
- We need to not just go after “the Lost” but after people with specific names.
- Who is God calling you to reach who no one else is reaching?
The break rules
- NASCAR drivers go straight and turn left, go straight and turn left, etc.
- Innovative leaders turn right!
- Every great moment of God started when someone turned right.
- We have to care more about reaching people than keeping people’s stupid rules.
- Today’s contemporary is tomorrow’s traditional.
- What is God calling you to do that no one else is doing?
They offend Pharisees
- The things that are closest to God are most offensive to Pharisees
- What’s accepted today in the church was rejected years ago.
- If you’re not being called a cult every now and then, then you aren’t doing anything.,
- Don’t worry when Pharisees criticize you; worry when they don’t criticize you!
- But when criticized, it’s important to respond with Grace.
- What new thing will God call you to create that will be hated today and embraced tomorrow?
They redefine success.
- John 3:30 – “He must become greater; I must become less.”
- We must become less impressed with ourselves and more impressed with Jesus.
- The largest church in the US today is tiny [compared to the need].
- We need to focus more on building the church and less on building attendance.
- Success is not getting voted into the Top 10 of a magazine that only Christians read.
- Time with God
- Quality family time
- The amount of money and the people that we give away
- Increasing passion will do anything short of sinning to reach others for Christ.